Friday, May 28, 2010


Memorial Day - take a moment and thank a veteran.

For the past two years Memorial Day has taken on a new meaning for me. My dad was a veteran of the Korean War and my step-dad was one of the heroes who breached Omaha Beach on D-Day. And although I have always held veterans in high regard, the importance of Memorial Day never really hit home. These were events in the past - before I was born - photos from history books or old albums.
Last year my son was still in Afghanistan serving in the Army when Memorial Day rolled around. He is part of the Illinois Army National Guard and they were deployed near Jalalabad for a year. Last year I understood what sacrificing for your country really meant. Last year, it was personal.
I remember driving through town on Memorial Day and seeing families picnicking, shopping, playing and just treating it like another day - an extra Saturday. They treated it just as I had every year.
Until...
...until my son watched four comrades die when an IED exploded under their vehicle. He called me the next day and poured his heart out. One of the young men had been his friend since kindergarten. He told me that he carried this soldier's body bag to the plane, because it was the last act of service he could do for his friend.
...until my son called me the day after Mother's Day to apologize for not being able to call the before, but there was another death in their unit and they killed the phone lines until the family could be notified.
...until every time the phones were down, I waited with dread for a military issued vehicle to pull up in my driveway and knock on my door.
...until I met the brave young wives with toddlers in their arms and a baby on the way who bid their husbands good-bye for at least a year and maybe forever.
...until I tearfully and gratefully greeted my son again a few months later and saw that his time over there will be etched on his soul forever.

This year on Memorial Day, stop and thank a soldier. This year, call your relatives who have served and let them know that you are grateful for their sacrifice. This year, drop to your knees and give thanks to God for those who are willing to fight for you and then pray for their safety and pray for their families. This year - remember.


2 comments:

  1. I used this post as part of my talk in Sacrament meeting today. It was quite good and very touching. I should have asked you if I could borrow it but I did give you credit when I told everyone I took it from your blog. You have reminded us all to thank our veterans more than we usually do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, this made me cry. I consider the service and sacrifice of all who have and do serve to be sacred. And I am so grateful for it.

    ReplyDelete